Located at the north end of the Portland Canal and the end of Canadian land road is Hyder, AK. Sitting at 3.2 km (2 miles) from Stewart, this little ghost town is a staple visit for all tourists travelling through the area.
In 1914 Hyder, originally known as Portland City, was the main access point for miners and prospectors to get to the mines and was the location of their port, supply point, and post office. Operating from 1924 to 1950 on the US side, Riverside Mine hosted Hyder's boom years. They extracted gold, silver, copper, lead, zinc, and tungsten. After 1956, mining on the US side had decreased significantly which caused the downfall of Hyder, leaving only Granduc Mine operating on the Canadian side until 1984, and again in 2010 to present years.